On October 26th, 2023, I had the honour of being part of the Webinar “Why adopt Green IT, and how?”, hosted by Scaleway. Together with Anne Currie, Director of Strategically Green and co-author of “Building Green Software,” Romane Clement, Co-Founder and CEO of the responsible digital design studio Ctrl S, and Simon Shillaker, Engineering Manager Serverless Computing at Scaleway, we explored the question of why companies should adopt Green IT, and how they could achieve it.
These are some key takeaways from the session:
- Companies are still in the early stages of Green IT adoption, emphasising the need for immediate action.
- International regulations, especially from the EU, are on the horizon, making Green IT a necessity for companies in the near future.
- The journey to Green IT is a long one, so starting early is key.
- FinOps and Green IT intersect in many areas, and even simple changes like right-sizing IT infrastructure can yield substantial monetary and ecological benefits.
- A comprehensive, holistic approach is paramount for achieving truly sustainable IT operations.
You can watch the full recording of the Webinar on YouTube. So sad that we had to stop it after just one hour, I’m sure the discussion would have continued for hours.
If you are interested in more talks about sustainability and Green IT from me, check out the Talks section of my website.